In this blogpost, we are looking back and reflecting upon the entire project. What did we like and what did we dislike, and why? What tasks went great and where was room for improvement? This reflection is divided into the following sections:
- Communication with supervisors
- The framework
Buckle up readers, because this will be a long one.
Week 5 was all about the finishing touches: improving the eye-tracking setup and preparing the science fair. This blogpost is all about improving the setup.
This week was all about the finishing touches and tying all loose ends together. We started our week by analyzing the pilot we conducted last Friday (20-10-2017). We used three main methods to analyse the acquired information:
- We used SPSS to find relations between different variables;
- We compared the individual Tobii gazeplots with the drawings the participants made of what they thought they were focussing on;
- We compared the Tobii gazeplots with each other.
We started of the second week with our first coach meeting with Willemijn Elkhuizen. We quickly found out that our understanding of the assignment did not line up with what Willemijn had planned for us. Instead of doing research on the difference in perception of a painting between experts and regular people, we have to build a working research setup, as Willemijn did not have one yet.
The current eye-tracking system only works with a monitor. However, a painting is a physical object. Our job for this project, is to make the available eye-tracking software work with a physical object, like a painting. An additional challenge was added, because the perception of the painting has to be adjustable, because the gloss really stands out when the light direction changes. Continue reading